In 4 days, I will be here! Nick and I had a credit from Expedia that was about to expire, so we impulsively decided to use it for an overnight in Maine... and I CAN'T WAIT. I used to go up there all the time, and now it's been 2 years since I've found the time to go. I'm a little OCD about lists, so I'm already working on how we're going to fill our 2 days at the beach: (Nick, if you're reading this, DON'T PANIC. I promise there will be some time to relax too. You can sleep in the car on the way up, how's that?)
- Moody Beach! Reluctantly promised to be enjoyed in limited quantities only, as Nick is clearly envisioning hours and hours spent sweltering on the sand in a pool of sweat. This is the sort of mentality you get when you grow up on CT beaches and have no concept of an "ocean breeze".
- Wells Beach Jetty! I have a strange obsession with walking to the end of a jetty and back. This one is a challenge because some of the rocks are kind of far apart. And I'm very afraid of heights. But for some reason, this is a must do for me whenever I go up to Maine. You get great views of the water and as long as you manage to hold onto your camera, some nice photo ops too. Plus it feels like something fun you do as a kid, which is what I turn into on vacation.
- All the little shops and touristy places in downtown Ogunquit and York Beach... lots of fun to poke around in them, and you never know, we might find something cool for our new place while we're at it.
- The Goldenrod!! Aka Kimmers Heaven... I love this place so much I've driven the 2+ hours JUST to go there and then drive home. They make saltwater taffy in the front windows and sell that as well as homemade fudge and other fantastic candy. I have to say, if you haven't tried THEIR taffy, you really haven't tried taffy yet. Do yourself a favor and order some. You're welcome in advance.
- Fun-O-Rama - an arcade right on York Beach. I love it because it has ticket games, which immediately bring out my competitive side.
- The Scoopdeck - the best homemade ice cream I have ever eaten, and they have at least 30 flavors. Cool ones too, like Dinosaur Crunch, which has malted milk balls in it, or Lemon Meringue... where do you ever see flavors like that??
- Congdon's - best pancakes I've ever eaten. I always get chocolate chip or Maine Blueberry. I think this year the blueberries are calling me.
And if somehow, that doesn't fill our time, there's always mini golf, the old fashioned movie theater, or morning walks on the beach looking for tidal pools... My goal for the trip is to get Nick to jump some waves with me... it'll be a challenge, but if I got my friend Katrina to do it in the pouring rain, there's always hope!
(We were both wrapped in beach towels as we jumped... it was really, really cold. Hooded sweatshirt and jeans cold. If someone nearby had a camera they had some great material.)
Now I just have to get through the rest of the workweek... come on, Friday morning!